At Mai Travel, we stand as part of The New Zealand tourism association’s goal of getting every business in New Zealand’s tourism industry to be committed to sustainability by 2025.
To us, sustainability is not only focussed on minimising the environmental impacts of the tourism industry, but also involves increasing the benefits tourism gives to the wider community and visitors, in order to make a positive contribution to give back to our country.
The Tourism Sustainability Commitment initiative, outlines twelve steps for businesses to take within the next 3-4 years.
- Restoring Nature – Through protecting and enhancing Aotearoa, including our water, biodiversity and landscapes, we can ensure our air stays clean and fresh.
- Reduce our Carbon Footprint – We are currently working on our plan to play our part in New Zealand’s transition to a net-zero carbon economy.
- Eliminating Waste – We’re also taking responsibility for the entire life cycle of products and services, and ultimately eliminating the waste associated with the products we use.
The Tiaki Promise
We also believe everyone who lives in, and visits New Zealand has a responsibility and a duty of care to protect it’s natural beauty. Therefore, we ask every person who takes part in a tour with us to abide by the Tiaki Promise.
- To care for land, sea and nature, treading lightly and leaving no trace.
- To travel safely, showing care and consideration for all.
- To respect culture, travelling with an open heart and mind.
This is a commitment to care for New Zealand, for now, and for future generations, by acting as a guardian, to protect and preserve our home during your time in New Zealand.
You can find more information on the Tiaki Promise and the steps you can take to abide by it here.
Connect With Us